Saturday, May 18, 2013

Martika - Toy Solders (Pat's Extended Soldier Mix)



Martika turns 44 today. So, here's my Extended Mix of Toy Soldiers!

"Toy Soldiers" is a song by Martika appearing on her eponymous debut album in 1989 as a ballad.

The song spent two weeks at #1 on the Billboard Hot 100 in the U.S. and New Zealand while reaching #5 in both the United Kingdom and Australia. When it spent its first week at #1, it had leapt over Madonna's "Express Yourself" and kept that song from reaching the top spot. On Billboard's year-end chart for 1989, "Toy Soldiers" placed #29. It was Martika's only number-one single in the U.S., and her highest-ranking single in the United Kingdom. The single was certified Gold in the United States by the RIAA.

In March and April 2009, VH1 ran a countdown of the 100 Greatest One-Hit Wonders of the 80s. "Toy Soldiers" placed at #67 on the countdown despite the fact that Martika had three other Top 40 hits: "More Than You Know" (#18); "I Feel the Earth Move" (#25); and "Love ... Thy Will Be Done" (#10).

It was sampled by Eminem in his 2004 single, "Like Toy Soldiers".

There wasn't much to go on with this mix. I used an Instrumental version I found on Youtube and extended the beginning and a portion in the middle. I just thought since it never had a long version made (or available to the public), I'd make one of my own. Enjoy!

No comments:

Support This Blog