Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Leona Lewis - Rebirth / I See You (Theme From Avatar)


"I See You (Theme from Avatar)" (also shortened as "I See You") is a pop ballad performed by British singer Leona Lewis. It was written and produced by composer James Horner, Simon Franglen and Kuk Harrell for the soundtrack album to the highest-grossing film of all time by James Cameron, Avatar. Horner and Franglen composed the music, and Horner, Franglen, and Harrell wrote the lyrics. It was nominated for a Golden Globe for Best Original Song at the 67th Golden Globe Awards in 2010, and Grammy Awards for Best Song Written for a Motion Picture, Television or Other Visual Media at the 53rd Grammy Awards in 2011, but lost to "The Weary Kind" from Crazy Heart. It has been nominated for the 2011 Grammys.

James Horner composed the score for James Cameron's big screen project Avatar and recruited Lewis to perform "I See You (Theme from Avatar)" which is played during the closing credits of the film. The song's producers James Horner and Simon Franglen were responsible for Celine Dion's Grammy-winning single "My Heart Will Go On" from the film Titanic, for which Horner also composed the film score. Lewis recorded the song after being invited to watch the making of Avatar; afterwards, she declared about the film and recording the song that,

"I hope aliens are like the Na'vi. I really like them. They care about the things I'm passionate about - nature, the planet, the environment. This song required a powerful performance so I had to find an emotional connection. I found one to them".

James Cameron intended to release the song as a single, thinking it would match the success of Dion's 1998 song, although Lewis was reluctant, as she had just released her second album, Echo. The Sun reported from a source that, "Leona was delighted to be part of Avatar but the song was never supposed to be released. But her cover of 'Run' wasn't meant to be released either—and look how well that did."

The phrase "I See You" is a reference to a greeting repeatedly used by the Na'vi in the film. As Jake learns to speak Na'vi, Norm explains to him that while the phrase literally means "I see you", it is being used figuratively to mean "I see into you", and essentially "I understand you".

This is the movie version of the song. It's the one heard at the ending credits of the movie. It also includes the final scene music where Jake opens his eyes, which was never included on the soundtrack. That's why the title has "Rebirth" as well as I see you.

Rebirth / I See You (6:24)

No comments:

Support This Blog